Friday, July 23, 2010

[CanineCancer] Re: Choosing an Oncologist - University teaching hosp. or Specialty

Hi Judye,

Thanks for responding again to my dilemma. I spoke with a tech at Purdue today and posted a message to the group about it (along with Meeve's Dx - she has schwannomas/nerve cell tumors), but it's waiting on approval and so isn't up yet.

I found out since Meeve has been diagnosed and had surgery, she wouldn't have to stay overnight. It might be an all day visit, but that's not too bad. However, and I don't know if this will be any different at the specialty hospital, they are going to start from scratch and run all her tests again, so the first visit bare basics are going to run me $800-1200 and that's if they don't want to do a CT scan. It kills me to have to consider money at all in this, but it is my reality. If money didn't matter and taking off work whole days for potentially lots appointments in the future, I would definitely choose Purdue.

I also spoke with the specialty hospital. My first visit will be a consultation and full exam for $125, and he will make recommendations and give me an estimate on what tests he wants done, etc. I also asked them about the statements on the website regarding returning the pet to the care of the primary vet asap and involving them in the treatment process - the part you read yesterday too, which crazy enough is now gone, in fact the whole website looks different and there really isn't much info on it! She put my mind at ease a bit. For oncology, he will pretty much be taking over Meeve's care. They will send notes to my vet of what's going on, and if for example I need a CBC done I can do it at my vet if ti;s more convenient, but the results will be interpreted by the oncologist and he calls the shots.

I also found out this guy was an associate professor at Purdue from 2003-07. His full credentials are here: http://www.vin.com/VIN.plx?P=ConRepsFeatured&F=78&C=2736 I know he can't be as up to date as Purdue, though.

AAHA certification and the dr's certification as an internist as well as an oncologist has been mentioned by those here as good things to check, and unfortunately the dr and the hospital are not so certified.

I was also surprised that Indy has only on specialty hospital and that in fact there are only three certified oncologists in this whole state, two at Purdue and the one here.

Thanks again for writing!

Erin and Meeve


------------------------------------

Community email addresses:
To post a message to the list, write to: CanineCancer@yahoogroups.com. If your message is not of general interest to all members, please write to that person privately!
Subscribe: CanineCancer-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: CanineCancer-owner@yahoogroups.com

View personal experiences (treatment, etc) with main folder:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_Personal_Experiences/
Sub-folders
here by cancer "type". Send your experiences for inclusion to the owner or moderator.

And Eating problems:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_For_When_They_Refuse_Food/

Enter your dog in the demographics data base:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/database
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
CanineCancer-digest@yahoogroups.com
CanineCancer-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/