Sunday, July 25, 2010

[CanineCancer] Re: choosing an oncologist - university or specialty hospital?

I really appreciate you laying out all this information and it is very insightful. I'm sure others will find it useful as well. You bring up some great points to consider.

For now we are going with the local oncologist. I was surprised to hear how much cheaper the treatments are at UC Davis. I wonder if Purdue does not get a subsidy. There is no mention of a subsidy on their website.

I have spoken to both on the phone. The main reason I've elected to go to the local onc is it appears I will have a bit more of a role in what care and treatments Meeve will and won't get, whereas at Purdue when I sign up, I'm in effect signing up to do all the tests, some of which are repeated whereas the local onc will use previous work if he can, they see fit.

For example, the first visit. at the local onc I pay $125 for this first visit, which will be only a full exam and consultation. He will go over all my options and give me estimates, and together, we will decide the tests and treatment plan that will work for me and Meeve.

The first visit at Purdue will include x-rays, bloodwork (she has a CBC a week and a half old), an ultrasound, and a CT scan if they feel it's warranted. The visit will take all day and I was told the minimum of what I should expect for this first visit is $800-1200.

It's not just a matter of money, but the sense that my wishes and what I think is best for Meeve will be the priority, and that the onc is purely working for us and our interests (a point you made as well). Because of Meeve's tolerance for pain (extremely low), her sensitivity, and my personal feelings on what I am or am not willing to put her through to prolong our time together - a tough threshold and personal choice for all of us - I really like this approach and appreciate it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, best of luck to you and Jake. You must be an incredibly strong person, and he is so lucky to have a mom like you.

Erin and Meeve

--- In CanineCancer@yahoogroups.com, JoAnn Gibson <jogib@...> wrote:


------------------------------------

Community email addresses:
To post a message to the list, write to: CanineCancer@yahoogroups.com. If your message is not of general interest to all members, please write to that person privately!
Subscribe: CanineCancer-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: CanineCancer-owner@yahoogroups.com

View personal experiences (treatment, etc) with main folder:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_Personal_Experiences/
Sub-folders
here by cancer "type". Send your experiences for inclusion to the owner or moderator.

And Eating problems:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_For_When_They_Refuse_Food/

Enter your dog in the demographics data base:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/database
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
CanineCancer-digest@yahoogroups.com
CanineCancer-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/