Friday, July 23, 2010

[CanineCancer] Not an uncommon tale: 3 yr old Boxer with Mast Cell on tip of docked tail

All too sadly this is not an uncommon tale - I have a 3 year old boxer with an ungraded MCT on the tip of his docked tail. It is 5 mm and I have consulted with 2 oncologists as to recommended removal.

One says to remove back one sacral vertebrae (tail amputation and all the worries of pain and phantom limb syndrome in my very waggy boxer) and the other says that the amputation is "old school" and that they now believe a lumpectomy to be 'curative' in this situation.

I like the idea of the lumpectomy and one of my previous boxers had many grade II in her life and the last were removed at age 9 and one without clear margins. No occurrence even though I was told it was highly likely (UC Davis did her last removals).

I don't like the lumpectomy because he is not 9 years old and an incomplete excision at the beginning of our "game" with MCT's for the next many years is just beginning. I know enough to know that removing one is not going to stop the future and there will be more and maybe even more than I can imagine before his time runs out. I just want to start this off on the right foot.

So if I do the lumpectomy and it is the unlikely grade III, then what? Radiation, the new MCT drug (essentially chemo), or then put him through a second surgery to amputate?

Seems like no matter what I choose there is a risk. One risks 2 surgeries, the other risks him losing the love of wagging his tail for good without knowing that was what I needed to do.

Like everyone here mostly is - I am not made of money, in fact I am unemployed for one of the first times in my adult life. I have always spent wisely but this time I really need to make sure I am tossing the ring on the right hanger if you will since a second surgery this year would be really tough for everyone.

So I am hoping those of you with experience with MCT's, boxers and MCT's and tail MCT's and what excision route you went will share their experiences.

Thank you,
Jennifer
jennifer@jlhweb.net

------------------------------------

Community email addresses:
To post a message to the list, write to: CanineCancer@yahoogroups.com. If your message is not of general interest to all members, please write to that person privately!
Subscribe: CanineCancer-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: CanineCancer-owner@yahoogroups.com

View personal experiences (treatment, etc) with main folder:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_Personal_Experiences/
Sub-folders
here by cancer "type". Send your experiences for inclusion to the owner or moderator.

And Eating problems:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/files/0_For_When_They_Refuse_Food/

Enter your dog in the demographics data base:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/database
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
CanineCancer-digest@yahoogroups.com
CanineCancer-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
CanineCancer-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/